Cybertruck door unlocking itself after rain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm having a really annoying issue with my Cybertruck (and previously with my Model Y). After rain or a car wash, the rear passenger doors seem to develop a mind of their own. They'll randomly unlock every few seconds, the window will go down a bit, and the door won't actually open. Plus, there's that pesky "manual door release triggered" message.

I've taken my Model Y to service twice, but they couldn't figure it out since it's not easily reproducible. Now my Cybertruck is doing the same thing! It's driving me crazy, especially since the window keeps going down even when I'm driving. Has anyone else experienced this?

My friend's Model X had a similar issue with the rear door and window, and they discovered that the wires to the door were damaged; moving the wires temporarily solved the problem.

I'm having a really annoying issue with my Cybertruck (and previously with my Model Y). After rain or a car wash, the rear passenger doors seem to develop a mind of their own. They'll randomly unlock every few seconds, the window will go down a bit, and the door won't actually open. Plus, there's that pesky "manual door release triggered" message.

I've taken my Model Y to service twice, but they couldn't figure it out since it's not easily reproducible. Now my Cybertruck is doing the same thing! It's driving me crazy, especially since the window keeps going down even when I'm driving. Has anyone else experienced this?
Your ride unlocking on its own is some scary shit.
Hope you got it fixed?

It can be a wiring problem.

It could be that the water from the rain or cash wash is affecting the electrical connections around the door mechanism, leading to those behaviors.

The idea is if the wiring is exposed or damaged, that could explain the random unlocking and window movement.

Just check the door seals and wiring. If not ask, for a more through inspection from the service.

I had something similar happen to my Model 3 after heavy rain. There was a short hole in the wiring harness near the door where water was getting into the connections.

Might be worth checking out the seals around the rear door and seeing if there is any moisture getting in. Another thing to try is to go to a service right after you wash the car and see he issue in action.

Back