Issues with trunk liftgate alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andoran+

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with my trunk liftgate alignment. The left side isn't closing properly, leaving a gap that's causing water to leak in. I've highlighted the area in red where the liftgate isn't making contact with the tonneau cover.

Does anyone know if there's a way to adjust the liftgate myself? I'd rather avoid a trip to the service center if possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

To be sure, just take it to your dealer to have them realign it. It needs to be calibrated properly. You can also DIY it if you want since it's in the manual.

If you are comfortable with DIY adjustments, then you can give it a shot yourself.
Check your owner's manual to see if there are specific instructions for adjusting it.
Often, there are rubber bump stops on either side of the liftgate that can be twisted or adjusted slightly to help with alignment.
You can also try loosening the bolts around the liftgate hinges and gently adjusting the position before tightening them back up.
Just be careful not to overdo it. It it still isn't closing properly, it might be best to have the dealership handle it to avoid any long-term issues.
Good luck with everything!

Apply some silicone lubricant to the rubber gaskets. You can try this too in case you are still getting water intrusion.

I'm having some trouble with my trunk liftgate alignment. The left side isn't closing properly, leaving a gap that's causing water to leak in. I've highlighted the area in red where the liftgate isn't making contact with the tonneau cover.

Does anyone know if there's a way to adjust the liftgate myself? I'd rather avoid a trip to the service center if possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Please, just go to the dealership. Don't try to fix it yourself...

Back